Seney-Stovall Chapel Rules and Regulations
Priority of Use
- Carl Vinson Institute of Government (hereinafter "CVIOG")
- Other University of Georgia departments
- Non-profit/community groups
- Private individuals and organizations
Reservations will be accepted based on the following schedule:
- Events may be scheduled up to 12 months in advance
- Rental requests must be submitted and paid at least 30 days in advance
- Events may be scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis when the request is accompanied by a deposit and signed rental contract
- There will be no "standing" reservations. An annual event must be rescheduled by the sponsoring entity each year.
Once an event is scheduled, it cannot be bumped by another group higher on the priority list; however, in the event that two separate requests are received at the same time for the same date, the above priority list will govern scheduling.
The Chapel (maximum capacity 240) and Green Room/Conference Room (maximum capacity 45) may be rented for a full day, half day, or quarter day. (No event may extend beyond 11:00 p.m. without express written approval.)
- A full-day rental is 5 hours to 9 hours
- A half-day rental is 4 hours
- A quarter-day rental is 2 hours
- If a group exceeds the hours specified in their contract the deposit may be forfeited and/or the group may be charged an additional fee.
The rental fee must be paid in full no later than 30 days prior to the date of the event. For university-sponsored events, a university account number is required at the time of the reservation. If the rental fee is not paid by the due date, the space will be released for other bookings. Make checks payable to the Carl Vinson Institute of Government.
In order to qualify for the rental fee for a non-profit organization, you must attach a copy of your certificate of exemption.
At the time the contract is signed, a security deposit is due in an amount equal to one-half of the rental charge for use of the Spalding Theater or the entire Seney-Stovall Chapel (Chapel and Green/Conference Room). The deposit tentatively holds the space until the full rental fee is received. The full rental fee must be paid no later than 30 days before the scheduled event. If the rental fee is not paid by the due date, the space will be released for other bookings. Make checks payable to the Carl Vinson Institute of Government.
If for any reason the renter cancels a scheduled event, the security deposit and rental charge shall be forfeited as follows:
- Eight weeks or more prior to the event: 50% refund of deposit
- 30 days to eight weeks prior to the event: no refund of deposit
- Less than 30 days prior to the event: no refund of deposit or rental fee
The security deposit will be held until after the rental date and will be refunded within 30 business days if the building and grounds are left clean and undamaged. The renter will be assessed for any damages or cleanup exceeding the rental deposit.
The following circumstances are grounds for forfeiture of part or all of the security deposit; this list is not exclusive:
- Equipment not returned to proper place, including tables and chairs
- Trash left on grounds, parking lots, and driveway entrances
- Removal or damage of any plants, landscaping, furnishings, equipment, property, or the building
- Birdseed, rice, or other materials thrown inside the facilities or on the grounds
- Trash bags not placed in dumpster
CVIOG reserves the right to assess the renter for any damages or costs of cleanup.
The licensee and/or organization will be held liable for any loss, theft, or damage to the Seney-Stovall Chapel's equipment or furnishings; the cost of replacement of any item will be charged to the individual or organization responsible.
The CVIOG reserves the right to refuse rental to events deemed inappropriate to the Seney-Stovall Chapel, to the Lucy Cobb Complex, or to the Carl Vinson Institute of Government. Such refusal will not be based on discrimination.
A CVIOG chapel representative must be in attendance at all rental events to unlock the building, to ensure proper operation of the building utilities and equipment, and to secure the building at the conclusion of the event.
The contract for rental of the chapel may not be assigned, transferred, or sublet by the renter.
No event may extend beyond 11:00 p.m. without express written approval.
The following restrictions include, but are not limited to, food, beverages, alcohol, smoking, incense, or animals. These restrictions apply to the entire Seney-Stovall Chapel building.
No food or beverages are allowed inside the Seney-Stovall building (theater and conference room).
No items may be attached to the floor, curtains, walls, or ceilings in any area of the Chapel without prior approval. Generally, nothing may be nailed, stapled, taped, glued, or otherwise affixed to the walls, floor, curtains or ceilings in a manner that will leave any evidence that such item was ever attached or that will in any way damage or mar the stage or any other area of the Theater.
Dripless candles and rose petals are allowed in uncarpeted areas only; any open flame must be supervised at all times.
No rice, birdseed, glitter, confetti, or helium balloons are allowed. In addition all such items including any decorations should be included in the "special requirements" section of the contract.
Setup and Cleanup
No furniture or equipment may be moved or rearranged in the Theater. For events held in the Green/Conference Room, the renter is responsible for setting up all equipment and furniture and for returning the space to its original state at the end of the event. The renter is responsible for cleanup of the building and grounds following the event, including removal of any equipment, etc., brought to the Theater or Green/Conference Room. The renter must be present during the entire event and must ensure that cleanup is completed following the end of the rental event. The presence of a CVIOG chapel representative does not relieve the renter of primary responsibility for cleanup after an event.
When reserving the Chapel for a wedding, please adhere to the following restrictions:
- Four hours maximum for the wedding rehearsal
- Five hours maximum for the wedding ceremony and cleanup
- Weddings and rehearsals may be held on weekends or after 5:00 p.m. on weekdays
- No receptions are permitted
No overnight storage is allowed, with the exception of sets, costumes, and equipment used for theatrical performances. The CVIOG is not responsible for such sets, costumes, or equipment; flowers; or other belongings left on the premises of the Chapel. Theatrical groups using the Chapel must strike the entire set immediately upon completion of the final date of any performance.
No security is provided by CVIOG. The licensee is responsible for providing security for guests and property of guests (including automobiles) during an event. If university officials deem it necessary, the licensee will be required to provide uniformed security during the rental duration.
CVIOG does not guarantee the availability of parking for any event.
Emergency Phone Numbers
In case of an emergency after 5:00 p.m. or on weekends, contact UGA Police at 542-2200.