Georgia Legislative Intern Program
Every spring, approximately 35 students from Georgia's public and private universities and colleges gain firsthand experience in the lawmaking process through the Georgia Legislative Intern Program (GLIP). The Georgia General Assembly coordinates the program. To learn more about this internship, visit the General Assembly's GLIP page.
For UGA Students
There is an on-campus pre-application process required for University of Georgia students. The Carl Vinson Institute of Government assists in the selection of UGA students for participation in the GLIP. Before applying, UGA students should note the eligibility requirements below. UGA students may also contact The Vinson Institute for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit and application send an application form, your resume, and a two- to five-page essay on how your studies have prepared you to participate in the internship program and what you expect to gain from the program to email@example.com or Georgia Legislative Intern Program, Carl Vinson Institute of Government, University of Georgia, 201 North Milledge Avenue, Athens, GA 30602. All materials must be received by April 5, 2013.
Transcripts and at least three reference forms must be mailed directly to the Vinson Institute by the school and the references.
A complete application includes:
- A completed Application Form
- A copy of your resume
- A two- to five-page essay describing how your studies have prepared you to participate in the internship program and what you expect to gain from the program.
- An official UGA transcript
- Three completed Reference Forms
Program Highlights for UGA Students
- Participate in the legislative process with a fulltime internship in a standing committee of the Georgia General Assembly
- Research bills or issues before the General Assembly, work with a legislative committee, monitor the progress of legislation, and perform other duties as assigned by your committee
- Learn about the inner workings of state government
- Make contacts for a future career in public service
- Receive 4–12 hours of preapproved internship credit from the School of Public and International Affairs
Eligibility Requirements for UGA Students
- Must be a resident of the state of Georgia,
- Must be enrolled as an undergraduate at UGA and have junior or senior status at the time of the internship, and
- Prior to beginning the internship, must take one of two prerequisite courses—either Legislative Process (POLS 4600) or Southern Politics (POLS 4660). If selected as a GLIP participant, you are guaranteed a slot in the fall semester POLS 4660 Southern Politics course with Professor Charles Bullock.